Thursday, November 19, 2009

Heidi's Rules for a Happy Marriage


After 20 years of {mostly} blissful marriage, I am often asked what the secret is. The secret is---there is no secret...marriage is alot of hard work. It's that simple. What looks easy, is really a lot of hard work.

When you visit our home, you'll notice these rules posted on my refrigerator and on my beside table. I guess you could call these "my tips for keeping it all together for so long." I've had them since the first year Mr. B and I were married. I'd love to know who first figured these out. That person for sure...knew the secret. ENJOY!

RULES FOR A HAPPY MARRIAGE

1. Never both be angry at the same time. {hard, but worth it}

2. Never yell at each other unless the house is on fire. {my kids love this}

3. If one of you has to win the argument, let it be your mate.

4. If you have to criticize, do it lovingly. {or not at all}

5. Never bring up mistakes from the past.

6. Neglect the whole world rather than each other.
7. Never go to sleep with an argument unsettled. {whew...you may not sleep for days}

8. At least once every day try to say one kind or complimentary thing to your life's partner.

9. When you have done something wrong, be ready to admit it and ask for forgiveness.

10. It takes two to make a quarrel, and the one in the wrong is the one who does the most talking. {or is the most defensive!}


Love...ain't it grand? We'd "love" for you to become a "follower" of our blog. Sign up to the right of the page, so we can keep in touch. You'll be the first to know about our specials, sales and giveaways. Leave a comment here and tell us what your secret to a happy marriage is....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Simply said....I LOVE IT...and will keep it in mind each and everyday!